The Best Jeans for Spring 2020
In case your own personal collection doesn’t already confirm this, denim jeans are officially style saviours and one of the best wardrobe investments you can buy. They’re timeless wardrobe staples that look and feel better with age, plus they can be worn in all seasons and can be dressed up or down. But like anything in fashion, trends come and go. So, which are the styles to invest in this spring?
High waisted skinny jeans
Rumours have been circulating in fashion circles that skinny jeans are on the ‘out’, but skinny jean fans rejoice – their reign is not over just yet. This season it’s all about the waist cinching extra high rise styles, so choose pieces that sit high on your natural waistline and pair them with your favourite top and strappy sandals for an instant spring update.
Featured: Riders by Lee Hi Rider Jean from Just Jeans seen on @the.nikkss
Loose fitting jeans
Loose fitting jeans, otherwise known as ‘mum jeans’, ‘dad jeans’ or ‘boyfriend jeans’ have a slouchy shape that tapers towards the ankle. These numbers have super comfy written all over them – think the denim answer to sweatpants, but far more polished. The baggy shape isn’t for everyone, but to balance out the slouchy feel, pair them with a fitted top and block heels to keep proportions in check.
Featured: The Blair High Rise Mom Jean from Sportsgirl seen on @sportsgirl
We all know the saying, what comes around goes around, and in 2020 flares are back. Flared jeans are super flattering as they lengthen your legs, especially when chosen in a high rise cut. Want to dip your toe into this trend but feeling a bit worried about looking like a model straight out of the ’70s? Choose a kick flare or bootcut style which doesn’t finish quite as wide at the ankles and pair themwith a ribbed knit tee and blazer for a modern, polished look.
• Levi 725 High Rise Bootcut Jean from Just Jeans
• The Frankie High Rise Wide Leg Jean from Sportsgirl
• Dannii Minogue Petites High Waist Bootleg Jean and Jasmin High Rise Full Length Bootleg Jean from Target
Featured: Levi Ribcage Crop Flare Jeans from Just Jeans seen on @mannolly
Straight leg jeans
The most timeless style, straight leg jeans will always be in fashion. Fitted through the waist and hips with a slim, straight silhouette, these jeans suit all shapes and sizes. Update your current pair for one with a frayed hem or distressed detailing for an edgier look this season.
Featured: Becky Button Fly Straight Jean from DECJUBA seen on @cottonon
The right pair of jeans give you a hit of confidence the minute you slip them on, but how do you find that perfect pair? It can often be a daunting task to find the right fit, so here are a few handy hints:
Fit guide cheat sheet for jeans:
• Jeans stretch over time and take multiple wears to mould properly to your shape. Therefore, the right size should initially feel a little too snug/tight to allow for the stretch factor (if you don’t go a size down, your jeans will feel too big after a few wears).
• Not all sizes are created equal. For instance, one brand’s size 12 pair of jeans will not fit to the same as another style or brand. The type of cotton blend (which will determine the level of stretch or rigidity), different washes and any distressed detailing all impact whether a size runs small, true or larger than normal. Therefore, focus on fit rather than the number.
• Jeans are meant to move with you, so move! Bend over, sit, squat – whatever it takes to see how the denim manipulates with each movement. Look at them from all angles. Do they look funny when you sit or does the waistband slide down to reveal an unflattering sight when you bend over? These are all the things you want to consider before purchasing your next pair of jeans, so take your time to try on each pair properly.