The science of sleep and wool : forming good sleep habits
The science of sleep
Celebrating the natural benefits of wool can easily be done while you sleep. The Woolmark company has found that as well as being a natural, renewable and biodegradable fibre – wool bedding and sleepwear appear to promote a better night’s sleep, and fine wool knitwear can assist people that suffer from particular types of skin conditions.
To add another comforting layer, early results from a study undertaken by the University of Sydney, Australia, reveal that wool sleeping apparel and bedding increases total sleep time, promotes sleep onset and improves sleep efficiency.
When it comes to sleep, we should be creatures of habit. All too often we expect to be able to rush around all day, spending a few hours in front of the computer or TV in the evening and then immediately fall into a deep sleep when we finally get into bed.
In reality, the body needs to wind down before it’s ready to fall into a restorative and rejuvenating sleep. Even if it’s just for 15 minutes, adopting a pre-bed ritual sends cues to your body that it is almost time to sleep.
Tips for a better sleep
- Avoid stress-invoking activities in the evening like watching scary television programmes. These send adrenalin and awakening hormones charging through your body.
- Turn the lights down in the evening. Exposing yourself to lots of light in the evening tricks your body into not producing enough melatonin, one of the main hormones that signals to your body it’s time for bed.
- Don’t spend the evening in front of your TV, tablet or computer. Instead, turn the lights down and read a book or potter around the house doing simple chores.
- Go to bed at a regular time every night, including the weekends. Spontaneity may be great during the day, but when it comes to sleeping the body enjoys regularity.
- The best routine for great sleep is to team up a pre-bed ritual with a regular sleep timetable. With both, you’ll be on your way to enjoying revitalising sleep.
- Taking a warm bath, stretching, reading a book or listening to gentle music will help you wind down after a long day.
Kerferd has Lifestyle and Cocoon mattresses, together with Hush pillows have wool fibres designed to keep sleepers cool in summer and warm in winter.
Tips for a better sleep source: Kerferd.