Ricotta and mushroom non-meatballs
Change up your regular spaghetti and meatballs with a delicious meat-free twist! These meatballs taste like balls of ravioli filling without the pasta, they're super delicious and sure to be a hit with mushroom lovers everywhere!
1 tablespoon olive oil, for sauteeing, plus extra
700g button mushrooms, finely diced (see note)
2 cloves garlic, crushed
½ cup quick oats
1 cup (200g) ricotta cheese
1 egg, lightly beaten
150g (¾ cup) feta, crumbled
2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley, plus extra to serve
1 red onion, finely sliced
1 tablespoon tomato paste
400ml jar tomato passata or tomato pasta sauce
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced). Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in frying pan and sauté mushrooms and garlic over medium heat for 10-12 minutes or until mushrooms are very soft and well cooked through.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the mushrooms with oats, ricotta, egg, 50g (1/4 cup) crumbled feta and parsley and season to taste. Shape mushroom mixture into balls and place on a baking paper lined oven tray. Bake for 20 minutes or until firm and browned.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large frypan over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes or until softened. Add tomato paste and cook for 1 minute then add tomato passata and ½ cup water, simmer for 5 minutes or until slightly reduced. Add the meatballs and simmer for 2 minutes or until heated through.
- Serve meatballs sprinkled with remaining feta and extra parsley and serve with spaghetti, steamed greens or mashed potato.
- Mushrooms can be chopped in a food processor to make this quicker!