Prep: 30 mins + 3 hours chilling
• 375ml thickened cream
• 395g can or jar caramel
• 250g mascarpone
• 1/3 cup instant coffee powder
• 1 cup hot water
• 1 tbs caster sugar
• 3 tbs kahlua
• 300g savoiardi sponge fingers
• 10 bananas, sliced (Lady Finger or Cavendish)
• Cocoa powder, to serve
- Pour the cream into a large electric mixer. Add half of the caramel and whisk together on low speed to soft peaks. Add the mascarpone and whisk on low speed until just combined.
- Combine coffee, hot water, caster sugar and kahlua in a shallow dish, stir to dissolve the sugar. Dip the savoiardi, one at a time into coffee mixture and arrange in a single layer over the base of a 5cm deep, 6 cup capacity dish, trimming to fit as required.
- Mix the remaining caramel in a bowl until smooth. Carefully spread half over the sponge biscuits. Spread over a layer of caramel cream mixture then top with a layer of bananas. Repeat the layers.
- Place the remaining caramel cream mixture into a piping bag fitted with a 1cm round nozzle. Pipe dollops on top of the banana to cover. Refrigerate 3 hours.
- Just before serving dust generously with cocoa.
• To make this child friendly, replace the kalua with 1⁄4 cup chocolate milk.
• To check if your dish is big enough, pour 6 cups water into the dish and it should fill the dish. Your dish can be a little bigger but not smaller.