When it comes to burgers, ingredients are important, but the key to making the best burger is all about construction. Learn how to stack your burger to enjoy the perfect crunch and the perfect burger mouthful.
How to stack the perfect burger
- Start from the bottom with a lightly toasted bun
- It's time to sauce - add at least one teaspoon of your sauce to the bun
- Lettuce is next, add a whole leaf of your favourite variety to catch those delicious patty juices
- Add thick slices of tomato
- The hero of your burger, add your patty topped with melted cheese
- Sprinkle the melted cheese with pickles and red or caramelised onions
- Top it off with the other half of the bun with another teaspoon of sauce
Additional burger tips:
- It’s all about the bun - for a beef or veggie pattie go with a soft bun such as a brioche, milk or classic seeded bun.
- Don’t forget to lightly toast the cut side of your buns before stacking fillings. This will avoid a soggy bun.
- Classic sauce ideas - sauce is essential to making sure your burger isn’t dry, so expand your selection from the standard tomato or BBQ sauce to something a little more flavourful. Try the classic tangy burger sauce with a hint of pickle, go spicy with a mix of tomato sauce with chutney, mustard and hot sauce or take a healthier turn and add some pesto, hummus or tzatziki to your burger buns.
- Sauce to burger ratio - remember to use at least a teaspoon of sauce on each side of the bun for big flavour.
- To lettuce or not to lettuce - add a whole lettuce leaf to the bottom layer of your burger to catch all the patty juices and keep the bun from getting soggy. For a big crunch, go for iceberg or cos lettuce.
Shop all your burger ingredients conveniently at Westfield North Lakes' fresh food retailers: Willows Quality Meats, Coles, Woolworths, Pacific Catch Seafood and ALDI.