Smashed qukes® salad with sesame and spicy oil
By Perfection Fresh.
Smashed Qukes® are a revelation. Naturally refreshing, and crisp to the bite, smashing the Qukes® tenderises them, giving them a pickle-like quality and preparing them to absorb maximum flavour.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Serves: 4 as a side
- 5 Qukes®
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp toasted sesame seeds (white, black or both) • handful coriander leaves
- 2cm piece (20g) fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1-2 tbsp chilli flakes (I use combo of red chilli flakes and Korean red pepper powder)
- 1 tsp salt flakes
- 2⁄3 cup (160ml) neutral oil such as grapeseed or sunflower
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp tamari (or soy sauce)
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp maple syrup or honey
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- sea salt and black pepper
- To make the dressing, combine the tahini, rice vinegar, tamari, sesame oil, maple and garlic and whisk to combine. If it is too thick, add a splash of water, just enough to loosen it up so it’s a thick pouring consistency. Season with sea salt and black pepper.
- For the oil, place the ginger, garlic, chilli and salt in a small bowl. Heat the oil in a small pan for 3-4 minutes (the temperature should reach 165 ̊C – 180 ̊C – be careful not to overheat the oil or it will burn the spices) until the oil looks thin, like the consistency of water. Turn off the heat and very carefully pour the oil over the spices. Allow to cool, and then stir before serving.
- Lay the Qukes® on a chopping board, and using the side of a wide knife or a rolling pin, gently smack the cucumbers until they break apart. Tear or cut into bite size pieces. Sprinkle generously with salt and allow to sit for 10 minutes to draw out excess water. Drain off any moisture.
- Add the sesame dressing to the Qukes® and toss to coat. Drizzle over the spicy oil, scatter with sesame seeds and finish with coriander. Season with sea salt and black pepper.