Cinnamon spiced lamb soup with pearl couscous
An exciting, spicy and fragrant soup perfect for winter
Preparation: 20 minutes
Cooking: 2 hours 25 minutes
- 4 lamb shanks, trimmed 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon 400g tin tomato puree
- 1 1/2 litre vegetable stock 1 cup pearl cous cous Lemon juice and chopped parsley to serve
- Heat a large heavy based saucepan over a moderately high heat. Seal the lamb shanks in the oil for 8 minutes or until well coloured, then set them aside.
- Add the onion, carrot and celery and cook for 3 minutes. Add the spices and stir for 30 seconds. Place the shanks back in and the add tomato puree and stock. Bring to the boil, cover and turn down to a gentle simmer. Cook for 2 hours or until the meat is very tender. Take the pan off the stove.
- Remove the shanks and set aside until cool enough to handle. Pull the meat off the bone and shred it with forks.
- Set the soup over a moderate heat and add the shredded meat and couscous. Cook for 10-15 minutes or until the couscous is cooked. Season with salt and pepper. Add lemon juice to taste, sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve.