Meatball, zucchini & chickpea soup
By Australian Beef.
Light up a cold winter’s night with this colourful and warming soup
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
500g lean beef mince
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 small red onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
2 tbsp. basil leaves, finely chopped + extra leaves, to serve
1 egg, lightly beaten
700g passata of choice
1.5L (6 cups) salt-reduced beef stock 400g chickpeas, rinsed, drained
2 small zucchini, cut into 1cm pieces
60g baby spinach
Shaved parmesan, wholegrain bread, drizzle of olive oil to serve
- In a large bowl combine mince, garlic, onion, breadcrumbs, basil and egg. Season and combine well. Roll heaped tablespoons of mince mixture into balls (makes 24) and place on a large plate.
- In a large saucepan add passata, stock and 500ml (2 cups) water. Cover and bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Add meatballs and cook for 5 minutes. Add chickpeas and zucchini and cook for a further 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir through baby spinach. Season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle soup into bowls and sprinkle with extra basil and parmesan. Serve with bread drizzled with a little olive oil.
- You can use silverbeet, kale or English spinach instead of baby spinach.
- Goats cheese or feta could be used instead of parmesan.
- The meatballs could also be pan-fried, simmered in passata and served with pasta for another quick dinner idea.