Recipe created by Tom Walton for Glycemic Index Foundation
Not only is this low GI tray roast eggplant & sweet potato with crispy chickpeas & spiced yoghurt perfect for entertaining, it also serves with it an abundance of healthy carbs and flavour.
- 1 medium eggplant, sliced into 1cm thick rounds
- 2 medium sweet potato, sliced into 1cm thick rounds
- 1 red onion, cut into thick wedges
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Salt, pepper
- 1 tin chickpeas, drained, rinsed and dried well
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 cup natural yoghurt
- ½ tsp sumac or cumin
- 1 lemon
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- Small handful each flat leaf parsley & coriander
- ¼ cup each pepita and sunflower seeds, toasted
- Preheat oven to 210°C and line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- Lay the sliced eggplant and sweet potato onto one of the baking trays and scatter the onion wedges. Brush the veggies with 3 tbsp of oil & season with salt and pepper.
- Toss the chickpeas with 2 tbsp olive oil, cumin and a little salt and pepper then scatter onto the other tray.
- Roast both trays for approx. 20-25 minutes until the vegetables are lightly coloured, cooked and the chickpeas are crisp. You may need to keep the chickpeas in for another 5-10 minutes.
- Combine the yoghurt, sumac, juice of ½ lemon and garlic in a bowl, seasoning to taste with a little salt and pepper.
- To serve, layer the roast veggies onto a tray or serving platter and scatter with the chickpeas.
- Drizzle over the pomegranate molasses, spoon over the yoghurt and scatter with the herbs, seeds and serve with the remaining lemon to squeeze over.