Fresh Ideas - Shredded Chicken Soft Tacos
- A 250ml bottle of Jalapeno chilli or taco sauce can be substituted for the chillies and canned tomatillos.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 small (approx. 450g) chicken breast fillets
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 red capsicum, chopped
- 2 jalapenos or long green chillies, seeded, chopped
- 800g can tomatillos, drained or 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 250ml (1 cup) chicken stock
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 bunch coriander leaves and stems, chopped
- 1 large avocado, chopped
- 8 soft flour tortillas, warmed
Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper, then cook for 3 minutes each side or until golden. Transfer to a plate.
Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in same pan, then add onion, garlic, capsicum and chillies. Cook for 8 minutes or until onion is softened. Return chicken to pan with tomatillos or tomatoes, and stock. Bring to the boil then reduce heat to medium and cook for 30 minutes, half covered, or until chicken is cooked and tender. Remove pan from heat and stand for 10 minutes.
Use forks to shred chicken in pan then stir through lime juice and chopped coriander. Season well. Spoon chicken on warm tortillas and scatter with avocado, to serve.
© Angela Nahas 2018, www.angelanahas.com.au. All rights reserved.