Recipe: Grilled eggplant, lentil, tomato & fennel salad
Try this Birch & Waite recipe to add a burst of brightness and colour to your table. Pick up your ingredients from your local Westfield.
This salad happily sits on its own as a delicious and nourishing meal or can be served as part of a large spread. It's lso a great salad to make ahead of time and take to a picnic with the dressing drizzled over at the last minute.
- 1 eggplant, sliced into 1cm tick rounds
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- 2 handfuls mixed herbs (flat leaf parsley, dill, basil)
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- ½ bulb fennel, sliced
- ½ punnet grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 1/3 cup kalamata olives
- 1 tbsp tiny capers
- 1 x 400g tin lentils, drained & rinsed
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup Greek-Style Yoghurt, Feta & Dill Dressing
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges, to serve
- Preheat a BBQ or grill over a high heat.
- Brush the eggplant slices with 2 tbsp of olive oil and season lightly with salt and pepper. Grill until nicely charred and soft, approx. 3 minutes each side then set aside.
- Combine the herbs, fennel, spring onions, tomatoes, olives, capers, lentils, grilled eggplant then dress with the remaining 2 tbsp of olive oil and the red wine vinegar.
- Lightly season and gently toss everything together. Serve spread over a large plate with the Greek-Style Yoghurt, Feta & Dill Dressing drizzled over and the lemon served on the side.