You know the story: you go on holidays, eat yourself stupid and then come home to find your clothes don’t fit and your scales are looking at you with that smug look. That’s pretty much where I am at the moment. I spent two months travelling Europe eating and drinking prettyyyyy much whatever I wanted (chicken kebabs at 2am? Sure why not! A Tom Collins for breakfast? Don’t mind if I do!) and now it’s time to whip myself back into shape. Trust me – diets and post-holiday depression are not a good mix.
So I’ve come up with a plan to trick my body into a slow and steady lifestyle change: they’re called Chocolate Coconut Bliss Balls, and every bite is like a cloud drifting me back to a little Parisian cafe. The only difference is, they’re actually good for you. That’s right – HEALTHY! The ideal treat for after dinner, with a coffee… heck, anytime of the day really.
The ingredients are fresh and wholesome, so you can get them at your local Westfield greengrocer, health food store or from the health food aisle in Woolworths.
2 heaped TBS of Raw Cacao Powder
1/4 cup Woolworths Macro Organic Shredded Coconut + extra for coating
1/4 cup crushed nuts or seeds (almonds, hazelnuts, sunflower seeds etc)
2 TBS goji berries
1 TBS Woolworths Macro Black Chia Seeds
2-3 TBS raw honey (or agave nectar or coconut oil)
1 TBS organic peanut butter
1/4 cup rolled oats
Dark choc chips (or cacao nibs to make it even healthier)
LSA (a mix of ground up linseeds, sunflower seeds and almonds)
Anything else you can think of!
- Line up your ingredients and grab a big mixing bowl, spoon and measuring cup
- Throw in all of the dry ingredients. Don’t worry too much about the measurements – they were just a guide. I usually put in roughly equal measures of each ingredient to make it super quick and easy.
- Add in your honey and give it a good stir. Because the honey is sticky it can take a while to spread around, but you’ll get there (if you have a food processor, feel free to use it instead!) The mixture should be sticky enough to make balls – if it’s too dry, add more honey or a splash of water, and if it’s too wet, add some more oats.
- Let it sit for 10 mins.
- Roll into bite size balls and then coat in shredded coconut.
- Set in the fridge for 30 mins.
All done! Now you can pretend you’re going to have one per day and then go and eat the whole bowl. Enjoy!