1. To cook the mince, heat half the olive oil in a large non-stick pan over medium high heat, cooking in two batches until browned. Once cooked, remove from pan and set aside.
2. In the same pan, add the remaining oil and cook the onion, garlic and thyme for 5 minutes, or until onion is softened. Add the carrot, fennel and eggplant and cook for a further 5 minutes. Now it’s time to add the tomatoes, chickpeas, nuts and spices, before simmering in a covered pan for 10 minutes. Season and return mince to the pan.
3. To prepare the baklava, spray 1 sheet of filo pastry with oil and then top with a second sheet. Repeat this step with 6 more sheets of pastry, before using to line the base and sides of a shallow slice tin (about 33cm x 23cm).
4. Arrange the potato slices on the base and spread in the cooled lamb filling. Like step 3, compile a further 8 sheets of oiled filo before spraying the top with olive oil, marking the top with a sharp knife.
5. Bake the baklava at 180°C for 35-40 minutes until the pastry is hot and golden.
6. To serve, plate up the baklava with a side of baby spinach and lemon wedges to flavour.