1. To make the sweet shortcrust pastry, process flour, butter and icing sugar in a food processor until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
2. Add vanilla, egg yolk and 1 tsp iced water, then process until the mixture just comes together. Form into a ball, then enclose in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Alternatively, use store-bought shortcrust pastry or sweet shortcrust pastry.
3. This is an amazing tart, as you just throw the filling ingredients in a blender. But note that it won’t work in a food processor – you need a blender with a strong motor in order to chop the whole lemon, skin and all.
4. Grease a 23cm loose-bottomed tart pan. Roll out pastry on a lightly floured surface to 5mm thick and use to line tart pan. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
5. Preheat the oven to 190ºC. Line tart case with baking paper and fill with rice or pastry weights. Bake for 8 minutes, remove paper and weights, then bake for a further 3 minutes or until dry and crisp.
6. Meanwhile, place lemon, sugar, butter, vanilla and eggs in a high-speed blender. Blend until smooth, add thickened cream and pulse quickly to just combine. Pour lemon mixture into tart shell, then bake for 30 minutes or until just set.
7. Cool tart in pan, then dust with icing sugar and serve at room temperature with thick cream.
Recipe by Valli Little.