Show Mum just how much you care by rolling up your sleeves with this recipe from Australian Macadamias. The shortbread hearts make a perfect gourmet gift for Mother's Day, with the macadamia nut adding a creamy texture to the cookies.
150g best quality unsalted butter, softened
2/3 cup (75g) icing sugar
1 cup (150g) plain flour
½ cup (75g) cornflour
½ cup raw macadamias, roughly chopped
1. Preheat oven to 160°C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
2. Place the butter in a bowl and sprinkle over the icing sugar. Using a wooden spoon, rub the sugar into the butter. Add combined sifted flours and continue to mix with the spoon until combined.
3. Place the dough on a lightly floured surface. Sprinkle the macadamias over the dough and knead very gently to combine them through the mixture. Shape the dough into a ball and flatten to form a disc.
4. Roll the dough out between two sheets of baking paper until it is 1cm thick. Remove the top sheet of paper and cut out hearts using a heart-shaped cutter. Place the hearts on the lined baking tray. Combine the scraps and repeat this procedure, until all the dough is used.
5. Place on the middle oven rack and bake for 10-15 minutes, watching carefully, until they just begin to turn golden. Remove from the oven and cool for 5 minutes before moving them individually with a metal spatula to cool completely on a wire rack.
6. Store in an airtight container.