1. Mix sugar, salt, spice, 1 tsp ground black pepper, ginger and garlic salt together in a small bowl.
2. Remove the membrane from the back of the ribs. Cut each rib rack in half. Rub each all over with the spice rub. Place in a roasting pan, cover and chill overnight.
3. Bring ribs to room temperature. Remove from spice mix.
4. When ready to cook, prepare wood chips and barbecue (see cooking school 101 p37).
5. Place the ribs onto the barbecue and close lid. Cook for 1 hour, turning halfway through cooking.
6. Stir 1 tbs hot water into hoisin sauce. Brush over ribs and continue to cook for a further 30 minutes or until meat is very tender. Serve with steamed broccolini.