You may remember last summer I blogged about denim overalls – they were the newest and hottest trend on the scene and effortless style icons like Alexa Chung were wearing them to death. Well, that was a whole year ago now and it seems denim overalls are more popular than ever before. Have you given them a chance yet? If not, I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised. They are SO comfortable and practical it’s not even funny (mums, I’m talking to you) and when paired with the right pieces, make you look all relaxed and cool without even trying. Hmm, Alexa who?!
Not yet convinced? Here are a few handy hints to style them to look more model off-duty than dairy farmer.
– Fitted tops work best under overalls, as t-shirts or blouses can balloon with movement and don’t look as flattering
– Consider the shade of your denim. What colour tops match, and what do you have in your wardrobe? Block neutral colours and stripes always work.
– Like jeans, darker shades are more flattering around the legs
– Keep your overalls in the “casual” section of your wardrobe. They’re not appropriate for work, and only appropriate for night in a dark shade and polished with a sharp blazer, a blouse and boots or heels
– Always keep both straps attached. Always.
Here’s my top 3 picks for denim overalls in store now.