Is anyone else really, really excited for the party season? Soirees to plan, outfits to buy and invites flowing like champagne – am I right? OK, maybe we’re getting ahead of ourselves… but usually, we do have at least one big event we’re getting ready for, whether that’s a New Years Eve ball, a friend’s Christmas get-together or an end-of-year office party. The latter is probably the most common gathering we’ll all be attending this year, but it’s also the one that can be the trickiest to pull off: there are dress code guidelines (it is a work function after all) and our workplaces expect us to find an outfit that is both office- and party-appropriate.
Here are my tips for going from desk to drinks with minimal changes.
- Blazers are your BFF: They dress up most things – even an outfit you would normally reserve for evening, like a shorter skirt and blouse. Use them wisely on Office Party Day.
- Rock a twin set: Layer up with other items for the office, then expose a bit of midriff for the party portion of the night. Alternatively, wear them as separates.
- Or go with a safer option: A little black dress will take you from day to night and to all occasions and venues. Foolproof.
- Change just one item: If you don’t feel like completely changing, bring a spare top or bottom to work. Wear a pencil skirt, but swap your corporate shirt for a sheer blouse with a plunging neckline, or lose the trousers and slip into a colourful skirt to wear with your button-up.
- Ditch your handbag: Bring a clutch to work, and transfer your essentials before ditching your bulky handbag under your desk.
- Know the power of accessories: You’ll be surprised how different a statement necklace, killer heels and a slick of lipstick will do to your look!
Need some inspo? Check out what I’ll be wearing to my end-of-year office party!