Which body shape are you? Pear? Inverted triangle? Column? No idea? Don’t worry, you’re not alone. Figuring out your body shape can be tricky, but it can also be a helpful guide in choosing clothing that suits you, whether you fit into one of the shapes neatly, or you’re a mix of a few!
What many women don’t realise is body shape is about proportions – your true shoulder line, waistline and hipline. Even as you age, or if you put on weight around your middle or on your thighs, your body shape doesn’t really change. Win!
Step 1: TAKE YOUR MEASUREMENTS
1. Take off your clothes and stand in front of the mirror in your underwear (if you’re already shaking, feel free to wear a singlet and leggings!).
2. Identify these three key areas:
- Your true shoulder line is where your bra strap sits, right on top of those ball-like bones.
- Your true waistline is the slimmest part around your middle, whether it’s under your bust or near your belly button.
- Your true hipline is NOT your hip bones – it’s the widest part of your thigh.
3. Put a finger on your true shoulder line, and another on your true hipline. Which is wider?
4. Add your waist into the mix – is it a lot smaller than the other two? Is it the same width? Or is it wider?
Step 2: IDENTIFY YOUR SHAPE
You’re an APPLE if your waist is wider than your shoulders and hips, but you have slim legs.
You’re a RECTANGLE if your shoulder, hips and waist are an even width. This means your waist isn’t obvious, but your legs usually make up for it!
You’re a PEAR if you hold weight around your lower tummy, bum, hips and thighs. This means your top half – shoulders, arms and top section of your belly – are quite narrow and you have a small bust. Your legs tend to slim from the knees down.
You’re an INVERTED TRIANGLE if your back and shoulders are broad and wider than your waist and hips. Your bust is ample and you usually have killer pins too!
You’re an HOURGLASS if your shoulder line and hipline are an even width, and you have a tiny waist. You have a great bust and bum and you’re all about the curves!
Step 3: DRESS FOR YOUR SHAPE