When shopping for a winter hat, look for the following:
– It should be made of felt, wool or a similar fabric – this is what makes it appropriate for winter. Lord knows a straw hat would just look plain silly running through the rain.
– Decide if you suit a stiff brim or floppy brim. Both styles are trending right now, so it’s really personal preference and what suits your face shape. For the record, I like the stiff brims.
– Try your hat on a few different ways to find out what suits you better. Does it look better pulled down mysteriously over your eyes, or balanced on the very back of your head?
– Consider the size of your hat. A standard women’s hat size is 57, but don’t be afraid to ask if the store has other sizes. Find that hats are always too big? Head to Lincraft and ask for a foam hat filler. Easy!
– What colour will you buy? Consider what colours you wear most and let that guide you. I always suggest starting off with black or grey, and then adding new colours if you want.
As an expert on the subject, I’ve rounded up 6 of my favourites right now, for whatever you’re into!
Colette by Colette Hayman Floppy Fedora Hat in Burgundy $8
Sportsgirl Harriet Panama in Light Pink $29.95
Sportsgirl Hippie Floppy Hat in Light Tan $39.95
Witchery Felt Fedora in Black $69.95 (I’m also wearing this is the featured image)
General Pants Co. Agent Ninetynine Sienna Fedora in Soft Grey $49.95
City Beach Mooloola Brick Lane Floppy Hat in Orange $9