Kids in the Kitchen: DIY mini pizzas the whole family can enjoy
Want to get the kids involved in the kitchen, without the fuss? These three DIY mini pizza favourites are not only easy to make with minimal ingredients, but they are also delicious. Plus, there’s a bonus, it’s every parent's dream to sneak extra veggies into meals, and with these recipes, vegetables can be disguised in the cheesy goodness.
Let’s get started!
Extend the fun with a family trip to Coles and Eastgardens Fruit Market to pick up your fresh ingredients. Prep the kids with a list of everything they’ll need, and sneak in your weekly shop while you’re at it.
Wash your hands
Before we start! One skill we have all perfected of late is good hand hygiene. Step one for all recipes is to get your crew to give their hands a good wash. Have your children count or sing the ‘Happy Birthday’ song twice to reach your 20-second quota.
On to baking…
Mini Margherita Pizzas
The OG pizza flavour - a simple yet delicious pizza! Feel like getting creative? Add your own desired toppings to this tasty base.
Prep: 50 mins
Cooking: 15 mins
• 4 mini pizza bases
• 1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra to drizzle
• 425g tinned crushed tomatoes
• 1 bay leaf
• 1 tsp chopped thyme
• 6 chopped basil leaves
• 150g bocconcini cheese, thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 210°C.
- To make the sauce, heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the tomatoes, bay leaf, thyme and basil and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 20–25 minutes, or until thick. Leave to cool, then remove the bay leaf.
- Lightly grease two baking trays. Sprinkle the trays with flour and place the bases on top.
- Spread the sauce over the pizza bases, leaving a 3cm border.
- Arrange the bocconcini over the top and drizzle with olive oil. Bake for 15 minutes, or until crisp and bubbling. Serve warm.
Ham and Pineapple Pizza Muffins
Pizzas made on muffins are a lifesaver for busy parents! These ham and pineapple pizza muffins are delicious and can even be popped cold into lunch boxes.
By kidspot kitchen
Prep: 10 mins
Cooking: 10 mins
• 3 English muffins split
• 6 tbsp pizza sauce
• 4 slices of ham diced
• 1 tin crushed pineapple, well-drained
• 3 cups pizza cheese
- Toast the muffins in the toaster.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of pizza sauce on each.
- Scatter ham and pineapple on the pizza sauce.
- Top with pizza cheese.
- Place under the grill until the cheese is melted and serve.
• You can do these in the oven for 10 minutes at 160C fan-forced to melt the cheese
Mini Meatlovers Pizza
The ultimate loaded pizza for the meat lover!
By Food To Love
Prep: 10 mins
Cooking: 15 mins
• 4 English muffins, split
• 1 tablespoon tomato paste
• 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
• 1 cup pizza cheese
• 100 grams diced bacon
• 75 grams button mushrooms, sliced
• 1 stick (100g) pepperoni sausage, thickly sliced
• 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 220°C/200°C fan-forced. Grease two baking trays. Place muffins cut sides up on prepared trays.
- Combine tomato paste and barbecue sauce in a small bowl. Spread sauce evenly over muffins. Sprinkle with half the cheese, then top with bacon, mushroom, pepperoni, onion and remaining cheese. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until bases are crisp. Serve.
• Pepperoni sausage is the preferred type; if unavailable, replace with cabanossi.
• Swap out English muffins for 4 small round pizza bases.