Recipe created by Megann Evans for Glycemic Index Foundation
Sweet peaches, seeded mustard and fresh basil go into this delicious panzanella salad recipe. Easy-to-make and a worthy centrepiece – perfect for a barbecue.
Prep/cook time: 10 minutes
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 small low GI rolls, torn/cut into 2.5 cm cubes
- 2 1/2 tbs red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbs lemon zest plus 1/4 cup fresh juice (from approx 2 lemons)
- 1 tbs chopped chives
- 1/2 tsp seeded mustard
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 large yellow peaches or nectarines (ripe but firm), sliced
- 1 large ripe tomato, cut into wedges
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, sliced
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 20 large basil leaves
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C (350°F) and prepare a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Add bread cubes to the baking tray, lightly drizzling with olive oil, tossing regularly in the oven, until nicely browned and crispy, about 10 minutes.
- Whisk together red wine vinegar, lemon zest, lemon juice, mustard, pepper and remaining 1⁄2 cup olive oil in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Preheat your grill pan or barbecue to high. Cut the peaches in half and remove the pit. Then cut each peach into 6 equal sections. Place the peaches in a medium-sized bowl and toss with the oil. Grill the peaches for 2-3 minutes per side. Remove them from the grill using a spatula.
- Combine peaches, tomato, cucumber, red onion, basil and toasted bread cubes in a large bowl. Drizzle with the dressing, and gently toss to coat. Serve immediately, or allow salad to stand for about 30 minutes for flavours to blend before serving.
Notes: If you can’t find low GI rolls opt for small sourdough dinner rolls.