Mushroom and lentil bolognese sauce
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 20 minutes
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 carrot, peeled, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 500g (8 large) Portabella Mushrooms, cleaned, cut into 1cm cubes
- 1 bunch oregano, trussed
- 400g can lentils, rinsed and drained
- 800g pasta sauce
- 350g casarecce pasta
- Salt and pepper, to season
- Finely grated parmesan, to serve
- Heat 1 tbs oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook the carrot and celery for 6-8 minutes or until softened. Remove and set aside. Increase the heat to medium-high, then add the mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes or until golden. Return the vegetables to the pan with the oregano and season with salt and pepper. Stir in the lentils and pasta sauce and bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to a medium. Cook for a further 5 minutes to allow flavours to infuse and sauce to thicken. Keep warm.
- Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil. Cook the pasta according to packet instructions, then drain and add to the Bolognese sauce, tossing well to combine.
- Divide the pasta among bowls and scatter over parmesan to serve.