Introducing Manu Feildel’s ultimate affogato recipe
It’s time to have your coffee and eat it, too. If there are two things Australians love, it’s caffeine and dessert – so why not combine them for the ultimate sweet experience? Celebrity Chef Manu Feildel brings you a twist on an old favourite with his delightful ‘Café Liegeois au Kahlua’. Read on for your guide to creating a dessert guaranteed to wow the room at your next dinner party.
Preparation: 20 minutes (plus 3-4 hours for freezing)
- 40g caster sugar
- 3 x double shot L’OR Barista Selection intensity 13 (freshly brewed, Espresso setting)
- 60ml dark rum
- 60g mascarpone
- 60ml pure cream
- 15g pure icing sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 500ml vanilla bean ice cream
- 100g Speculaas biscuits, half crushed and the remaining kept whole
- 3 x double shot L’OR Barista Selection intensity 13, ristretto pour freshly brewed and chilled
- 6 x 30ml Kahlua shots
- Whipped cream, to serve
- Crushed coffee beans, to decorate
- For the coffee granita, dissolve the sugar into 3 freshly brewed double shot L’OR Barista Selection intensity 13 (using Espresso setting) in a bowl. Allow to cool before adding the rum and pour into a shallow container. Freeze for 3-4 hours before scraping with a fork to break up into small ice crystals and freeze until required.
- For the mascarpone cream, place all the ingredients in the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk until soft peaks form. Refrigerate until needed.
- Several hours before serving, place 6 serving glasses in the freezer to chill.
- To serve, place 1-2 scoops of vanilla bean ice cream into each serving glass, top with a spoonful of mascarpone cream, a spoonful of granita and a sprinkle of Speculaas biscuits. Drizzle over a single shot of chilled double shot L’OR Barista Selection intensity 13 per glass, a shot of Kahlua and finish with whipped cream, a whole Speculaas biscuit and crushed coffee beans as desired.
Recipe by Manu Feildel and L’OR Espresso.